Monday, February 11, 2013

Guest Post: My Body; His Temple

Hello Expressionistas! One of this month's guest posts will focus on health. Go ahead and gain some knowledge from Nisa! :)
 
Hi beautiful people! My name is Nisa and I currently blog at A Heart of Worship. It's an absolute pleasure to be this month’s guest blogger.  I was asked to speak on the topic of health, and that I will do, but of course, I will speak through the word of God.
 
Recently, God has called me to make changes in some special areas of my life. The area I will speak on today however, as mentioned above, is health. Some of you may be wondering why exactly God would be concerned with what we eat and drink, how much we eat and drink, or how much or how little we exercise. But if we really stop and think about it, God concerns Himself with all areas of our lives- after all, He is the one who gave life to us!

The scripture that really brought it home for me was "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own;” 1 Corinthians 6:19 [NIV]

Think about an actual temple or church where we worship....in most, eating isn't allowed. This is because it's a sacred place where we offer our sacrifices and lay down our troubles before God. We can't have the church looking filthy. Not only is this disrespectful to God but it is unsanitary and can affect our health. The same is true for our bodies-His temples...we have to be mindful of the things we are eating and drinking, how much we are eating and drinking, and how often we are exercising. Does it make sense now? I hope so!

For me personally, it has been a struggle. I was never an 'unfit' person as I was actively involved growing up. Nevertheless, the older I got, the lazier I became-sad but true. I have gotten serious though about changing this because I strongly believe, that is what God desires for my life and possibly, yours as well.

Here are some HEALTHful tips I would like to share with you:

1.
Try not to eat meals, sweets, or carbs past 8 pm

***Healthier substitutes: have breakfast, snack throughout the day (healthy snacking: granola bar, yogurt, fruits, and so forth), grab lunch if you can, and have a filling dinner... Before bed when tempted to eat, grab a fruit and drink a glass of water



2. Try to cut down on your rice intake

***Healthier substitutes: potato, steamed vegetables, salad, & corn

3. Try not to drink store-bought juices that have sugar...

***Healthier substitutes: if you can, buy a juicer and make fresh, natural juice (no water or sugar added), oh and drink LOTS of water!

4. Try to cut down on your sugar intake in general (every now and then, you can treat yourself to something sweet)

5. Get a good night’s rest! Our bodies need time to relax after a long day

6. And my favorite, *sarcasm* exercise! Yeah, the "e word" ... At least 3 times for the week for 15-30 minutes...
So I know I have said a lot, but I hope it wasn't in vain. If you're already eating right, getting adequate rest, and exercising, then a round of applause to you! I commend you! But if you haven't been doing well in this area of your life, like me, it's time to think seriously about this and do something about it! The first step is realizing that you have this problem and the step thereafter, is to FIX it! How? I'm glad you asked! Seek God and He will give you ALL the strength and encouragement you need! Remember, our bodies belong to Him! They are His temples and we ought to keep them pure & holy!
I pray you all have a blessed week and if you need more tips, encouragement, or prayer, do not hesitate to contact me at aheartofworship12@gmail.com
“Beloved, I pray that in all respects you may prosper and be in good health, just as your soul prospers” 3 John 1:2 [NASB]
~Nisa
God BLESS
Visit the links below to stay connected with Nisa:
Take care! :)
xoxo'
Oluwaseun S.

13 comments:

  1. Judging from the title I thought she was going to talk about PURITY, haha. I am glad I thought wrong (nothing wrong with talking about purity though)

    Nisa, this is a great post, so true. And some people simply die before their time because they don't take care of their temples. If we desire to live long we ought to take care of ourselves. I personally want to take care of my body so that I can serve God even in my old age. That's why I'm anti-smoking, drinking and eating random junk.

    Thank you for reminding us to take care of His Temple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Cindy I got u! Didn't I?

      But thank u love :-)

      Delete
  2. Very good post Nisa. I have considered not eating past 8 but now I will because when I eat after that time, it's usually emotional eating. God bless sis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maleeka! Very good :-) you can do it!

      Delete
  3. Great post!! As a nutritionist, white rice is just as bad as white potatoes. A healthier option to white rice would be brown rice, vegetables such as broccoli, asparagus, carrots, even sweet potato (loaded in vitamins and nutrients). The key to our health is what we eat and put into our bodies!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cherrie! Wow, thanks for letting me know that. See we learn from each other! ;)

      Delete
  4. i can be health-eating freak sometimes...thank you for the post, great info.

    http://clothes-lovers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post!
    Would be great if you could visit my blog too. Maybe we could follow each other too? Let me know what you think :)

    www.malefashionuk.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David! But of course ;) I will do just that!

      Delete
  6. fantastic post, thanks for the advice.
    rock4less.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! I certainly agree too. I think all of your tips are important and helpful. I've been on a natural holistic path as well. Watching EVERYTHING that comes into my body!

    www.goodlooknout.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Be sure to leave your thoughts, I really appreciate it.