Monday, January 28, 2013

Guest Post: Foundation Routine & Finding One For Your Skintone

Happy Monday, Expressionistas! I hope you're all having a great start to your Monday  morning. On my way back home from running some errands (with my sister) yesterday, it began to snow a bit. On walking out this morning, it looked like a Winter Wonderland! :)
 
Today's guest post is brought to you by the lovely Sade of In My Sunday Best. I know most ladies (if not all) like some sort of makeup. We do have to admit that, sometimes it's difficult to find the right shade of foundation or blush for your skintone. That's where Sade comes in to rescue us. Today, she'll be expanding your knowledge today about makeup and finding the right shade for you. 
 
Read more from Sade below:
 
Finding a foundation really is the coloured girls burden isn’t it? I rember my teen years when I’d wear foundation shades 3x too light for me because I found it impossible to find a suitable shade.
 
You go to your local drugstore and there are only ever 3 or 4 pathetic attempts at offering a more ‘ethnic’ colour wheel, but there are 20 odd foundations in more or less the same shade of beige. Very annoying isn’t it.
 
Many of us have gone down the high end makeup route as they offer more of a colour spectrum for us, brands like MAC, NARS, Urban Decay, YSL and Chanel. Unfortunately for those of us who are students, these brands aren’t always wallet friendly.
 
There are a few high street brands that have heard our cries such as Maybelline, Sleek and Revlon, I’m particularly fond of sleek because they have such a wide selection and they offer very affordable high quality products.
A flawless base is always the key to a natural foundation application; if you have skin with large open pores a good primer will fill in the holes and give you a smoother base to lay your makeup ontoIn terms of brushes, I used an ELF foundation brush. It’s cheap, cheerful and does the job.
Some of you will find that you don’t actually need a full coverage foundation and a good concealer will work wonders on you. I rarely use foundation anymore and stick to concealer, as an Architecture student I am riddled with dark circles which make me look panda-like. To erase them, I use a peach toned concealer.
I swap between my MAC mineralize concealer in NW40 and my NYX HD concealer in Nutmeg. But if you find you do want the coverage of a foundation, I recommend MAC’s studio fix fluid.
 To brighten and set the eyes so you don’t get creasing, I’d recommend a pressed powder lighter than your skintone, I use MUA’s pressed powder in shade 2
and MAC’s mineralize skinfish in Deep to bring the colour back into my face.
Contouring and highlighting is optional but I love how a good highlighter can really bring out your features and recess others. I use the SLEEK contour kit and it was one of my fav buys from 2012, affordable, lasts for a long time, and just amazing to be honest!
 And to finish everything off for darker skintones, you can’t go wrong with a peach toned blush like the one pictured below, NYX blush in Cinnamon.
I hope you find this helpful!

XOXO Sade

Thank you so much, Sade. From what you've stated, some of us ladies don't need full coverage foundation. And, you're right about that. As for me, I stopped wearing foundation sometime in September/October. I actually never thought about wearing blush, I guess I've never found a right color for my skintone. Thanks for enlightening my knowledge! :)

Visit the links below to stay connected with Sade:

Take care! :)
xoxo
Oluwaseun S.

16 comments:

  1. Great post :) Mac was the very first makeup brand I used, and after years of trying out different brands, I found out Mac is the best for my skin. Love their concealer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the lovely feedback Margaret! Glad to know a fellow mac lover :)

      XOXO Sade

      Delete
  2. thank you for sharing, i'm also not big on make up hey. i use every info i get.

    http://clothes-lovers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome clothes-lovers hope it helped!

      XOXO Sade

      Delete
  3. I'm completely in love with BB creams now, but angry that many brands don't carry my shade. The Iman brand is nice but costs a little more. I find that I need multiple shades because I lighten up so much in the winter the gradually darken in the warm months. Nice to see that I don't struggle alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your reply JenJen! I love BB creams too but like you said most brands don't carry my shade but i'll definately look out for Iman's products!

      XOXO Sade

      Delete
  4. I just started getting into Makeup, Thanks for sharing this post it was very informative...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it helped Raliat :)

      XOXO Sade

      Delete
  5. foundation is not for me! i'm a powder girl, but i should try using concealer. right now i only use it under my eyes but i should try it on some of my spots. thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome simplychic!

      XOXO Sade

      Delete
  6. First of all I love word 'EXPRESSIONISTAS', great thinking!

    Secondly I love this post!! Great idea for some of us that aren't into make up that much. I use whatever that my mom or my sister buys once in a blue moon!

    Thank you Sade. I'm heading over to your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed reading. I never knew black people struggled with getting the right foundation until I went make up shopping for my sister of a darker skintone and I was like; wow, okay. This might be an issue. lol. I love the ELF foundation brush, it's especially perfect on people with dry skin. I appreciate the flawless finish that make up does for a face but I personally wouldn't recommend wearing make up every day. It can be very damaging to the skin! Great post. It would have been nice if we could see a picture of her full face make-up. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Tomilola! I have a few pictures of my face on my instagram! @Inmysundaybest hope it helps :)

      XOXO Sade

      Delete
  8. the sleek contouring kit is my favourite for sure;)
    misertlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know there are others who love it as much as i do! :)

      XOXO Sade

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! Be sure to leave your thoughts, I really appreciate it.